Monday, December 31, 2012

2012 in Review



Since it’s been so long since I’ve blogged and there were many events that happened this year that should have earned a blog post of their own, I decided to catch up and review my year on here in one giant post instead of breaking up things that happened 6 months ago into their own posts. It also gives me an opportunity to start fresh in 2013 and do a lot more blogging, which is one of my New Year’s resolutions by the way!

Here we go…

January:
January started with me beginning student teaching instead of going to typical classes at UNI. I started my first placement in Janesville at the high school level. I loved every minute of the time I spent there and had a great cooperating teacher that I learned a lot from.

February:
February started like most February’s do. I continued my student teaching which kept me very busy. I also got to experience snow days from the stand point of a teacher instead of student. I learned that I still very much like snow days! 
Ready to go clean off our cars!

March:
The beginning of March started off with throwing my friend Molly a bridal shower. The shower turned out great and I really enjoyed the time spent planning and throwing it with friends. March also brought the end of my first student teaching placement. Spring break also took place in the middle of the month. I spent my week at home, but got the chance to go to Des Moines with my mom and sister to look for an interview suit. While at home on break, most of my time was devoted to finishing my teacher work sample, or TWS, which is a big part of student teaching. After spring break, I started my second teaching placement at Peet Junior High. This once again proved to be an awesome experience. I had so much fun spending time with these junior high kiddos. 


Completed TWS!

April:
April was still spent student teaching at Peet Junior High. I also got to spend a lot of great time with college friends as the end of our college careers loomed near. I got to attend a bridal shower for my roommate Beth who would be getting married at the end of May.

My Kiddos from Peet!

May:
Happy graduation to me! I graduated from UNI on May 5th and it was a great day! The week after graduation brought my first job interview and Molly and Seth’s wedding. I got the honor of being a bridesmaid on their big day and I can honestly tell you how perfect and filled with love their day was. The week following their wedding lead to another job interview, which led to my first teaching job in SE Iowa. The month ended with Beth and David’s wedding on a very hot Memorial Day weekend. The day after their big day I found myself moving out of apartment 15 where I spent 2 great years with 3 awesome roommates who I miss dearly!

Molly and Seth's Wedding

Apartment 15 (excuse the mess...we were packing to move out!)

Roomies! :)
Beth and David's Wedding

 June:
June was a low key month. I turned 22 on the 8th of the month and spent a quality evening with friends. I began focusing on my summer jobs which ranged from working at Sweet Basil Market, odd shifts at Twin Oaks, and babysitting. The month ended with fun with friends at Sturgis Falls.



July:
July brought more of the same. I spend most of my time working or painting furniture in the garage. I went to SE Iowa one of the last weeks of the month and signed a lease to my new place.

August:
August brought big change in my life. I moved to SE Iowa the first weekend of the month. It was quite the experience as we took 2 cars full and a truck hauling a trailer, but we got me there and settled. Did I mention we did this during one hot and dry summer? I started my teaching job on August 9th and my first day with kids was August 16th. I am teaching 8th grade social studies, 9th grade American History, and 1 section of Psychology. After only 2 days of teaching, I headed back to Cedar Falls for Noelle and Chris’s wedding. It was a beautiful ceremony and reception. Noelle was even brave enough to make all the cake and cupcakes herself!



September:
I found myself very busy in September falling into the routine of school. I loved every minute and as if I weren’t busy enough with my first year of teaching, I decided to be the sponsor of HS Student Council, so I found myself planning the homecoming dance, voting for king and queen, and all the other good things that come with homecoming week. I did get to catch the Eli Young Band in concert at Old Threshers and while they weren’t fabulous live, it was still a fun experience. 


 October:
October brought some nice fall weather and the continuation of a very busy school year. The first weekend of the month I traveled to Des Moines and took place in the Color Run. The Color Run is a 5K race where runners start out in white clothes, but as you run the race you get doused with a colored powder which leaves you very colorful at the end. This weekend worked out great as I got to see a lot of friends meeting some high school friends for lunch, running with some college buddies, and meeting former roommates for dinner. The last full weekend in October was also spent in Des Moines reuniting at the mall with college friends. 

Color Run team

 November:
November was more of the same business that being a first year teacher brings. I got to come home for several days over Thanksgiving, which was my first break since Labor Day. I got to spend a lot of time catching up with friends and family which was great. I also got to shoot my first gun! :) 


December:
December not only brings 2012 to an end, but also brought my first semester of teaching to an end. After an early out on a Thursday and a late start Friday due to weather, we were able to squeeze all of the finals in. Since being home I’ve been able to enjoy a wonderful Christmas with family, catching up on sleep, grading papers, finally getting back to exercising and time with friends.





2012 was a great year that brought a lot of big changes to life. I can say that I love where I’m at in life right now and am very excited to see what 2013 will bring. Here’s hoping you have a very save and happy New Year!

Leah




1 comment: