Sunday, January 13, 2013

How To: Make a Yarn Wreath

Happy January everyone! After having made a fall wreath and a Christmas wreath (which is a story for another time) my door looked awfully lonely this winter. I decided to go for something that I could leave up until spring time so I could really get my monies worth. Enjoy my first crafty "How To" here on the blog.

Disclaimer: I did first see a yarn wreath on Pinterest (can't remember the original blog) but have since taken their original ideas and made them to be my own.

You will need...
1 straw wreath WITH the plastic wrapping left on
1 ball of yarn (I prefer to get the balls that have 300+ yards so I can really wrap my wreath)
3 pieces of felt in various colors
2 decorative picks of some sort
Other decorative flowers
Scissors
Hot glue gun
Ribbon to hang the wreath

How To...
Step 1:
Open up your yarn. Take the end and tie it around the straw wreath form. Remember, you want to leave the plastic wrap on. It makes it a lot easier to wrap and helps the wreath keep its form.





Step 2: Wrap and wrap and wrap. This process can take a bit of time, but have no fear, it is very easy. Also, I don't worry too much about having perfectly aligned yarn. Instead, I just wrap however my little heart desires. Also, pick out a good TV show as you do this. :)

Step 3: Once you have wrapped the entire wreath, I end my wreath by combing the tie from the start to the tail at the end.

Step 4: Now is the fun part of the wreath...decorating! For my previous wreaths I mostly bought my embellishments. This wreath I bought the grey flowers and picks, but made the rest myself. The white rosette tutorial can be found at this link here and the pink flower tutorial can be found here. How you want to set up your embellishments is up to you. Usually, I stick my picks in under the yarn and start laying the flowers or whatever you chose on top. Just remember, when decorating you should do things in odd numbers. So 3, 5, or 7 flowers will look better than 2, 4, or 6!




Step 5: Once I've made all my embellishments and laid them out, I use my good ole hot glue gun and stick em down!


Step 6: When it comes time to hang my wreath, I usually start with more ribbon than I will use. I feel it's better to cut too much than not enough! For this wreath, I just tied a nice big bow with thick white ribbon. Others I have just done a knot and have even used burlap. It's entirely up to your discretion! :)



Step 7: Enjoy your work. Invite people over so they can enjoy your work. Smile every time you come home at your masterpiece.





Total Cost...
Wreath form: I got mine 1/2 price at Hobby Lobby for $2.50
Yarn: Got this 40% off at Hobby Lobby with a coupon so cost was $2.39
Felt: I know I said you only needed 3 sheets, or at least that's what I used, but I went for the 4 pieces for $1.00 at Hobby Lobby
Picks: Found sale at JoAnns so total for both was $2.39
Other decorative flowers: Packs purchased 50% off at JoAnns (not sure of price because I can't find my receipt but will say that total it was $5.00)
Ribbon: Once again, on sale at Hobby Lobby for $2.00
TOTAL: $15.28

Some of you may think this is expensive, but if you compare this price to what you could buy a winter wreath for, I think you would be pleased. Plus, you get to feel proud and accomplished! :) Also, the cost doesn't take into consideration the items you have left over and can use on another project.

If you decide to make a wreath, let me know! I would love to see your finished product! :)

P.s. Your work space may look like this when you finish...



3 comments:

  1. Awesome. I love the space heater addition. I'm excited to try this some day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...I know! But my downstairs is way cooler than my upstairs so to regulate I've got ole trusty there. :)

      Delete