Friday, May 31, 2013

Musings of a 1st Year Teacher

Where have the last 9 months gone? I feel like it was just yesterday I moved and started my first teaching job, and here I am on the other side of my first year enjoying my second day of a very rainy summer.

I decided I should document and share some of my thoughts after my first year.

1. Sometimes eating school lunch is okay if that means you get to sleep in 10 extra minutes in the morning. (Especially when it's chicken nuggets and mashed potatoes!)
2. You'll spend 8 hours with students and go home and spend 3 more grading papers and planning for the next day. That's normal in the first year.
3. Have a good friend to swap stories with and complain when the day just isn't going your way.
4. Sometimes taking a sick day is a good thing. It's a lot work to plan being gone, but better than being miserable all day long and you can come back better (hopefully) the next day.
5. The new teacher mentor program is great.
6. Some nights it's okay to pass on the grading and veg out in front of the TV.
7. Facebook is a great place to document the funny moments of teaching. (I should really start a journal though...)
8. Use your resources: internet, other teachers, past textbooks, etc.
9. Go to the school sporting events. The kids want you there and they appreciate it when you show up.
10. Build relationships and get involved...it makes it all the better!

Here's to a great summer and moving onto year two!

No comments:

Post a Comment