Thursday, May 19, 2011

Summer Fruit Slush

Hello again! I'm sorry I've been absent. Just finding myself getting into the swing of summer and working and I haven't left much time for blogging. Last week I did try another smoothie recipe and finally took the time to upload the pictures today, so alas a "Summer Fruit Slush".

Summer Fruit Slush
Serves 2


Ingredients:
4 Tbsp Orange Juice
1 Tbsp Lime Juice
Scant 1/2 cup sparkling water
2 1/3 cups frozen summer fruits
(such as blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, and strawberries)
4 ice cubes
Sugar (or honey) to taste


Directions:
1. Pour the orange juice, lime juice, and sparkling water into a food processor or blender and process gently until combined.
2. Add the summer fruits and ice cubes, and process until a slushy consistency has been reached.
3. Slowly add sugar to taste.
4. Pour the mixture into the glasses and serve.


For this recipe, I only used strawberries and blackberries as it's what I had on hand. I wish I would have used all four fruits as the blackberries made the smoothie very, very, seedy which I'm not a big fan of. The recipe also didn't initially call for sugar, but with the orange juice and lime juice the mixture was very tart so I slowly added and tasted until the smoothie was sweet enough. I also doubled everything to make enough to serve 4, and I'm glad I did as the original was right in saying it would have served 2. Doubling the recipe made for about four 8-10 ounce glasses full.

Overall, the flavor was good but it was hard to get over the seeds. My mom enjoyed it because it wasn't so sweet. My sister agreed with me on the seeds and said it could have been sweeter. I guess you win some you lose some!

This smoothie gets:

2 out of 5 stars

If you try it, let me know what you think or if you tweak anything. Does anybody out there have a really yummy smoothie recipe I just have to try? It is summer and my blender is getting a little lonely...

No comments:

Post a Comment