Ten years. I cannot believe it has been that long. While I was only in 6th grade the day of the attacks, I still remember a few things about that day. Being so young, I think what I remember most is being confused. I don't think I fully understood the impact that day would come to make on our nation. I didn't understand what had happened and I don't think at the time of the attacks, I even knew what the Twin Towers were.
When the attacks first happened, I hadn't even gone to school yet. Still being in elementary school, I didn't have to be there until 8:30 which means the first attack probably happened before I was even out of my PJ's. I think my dad may have called my mom and told her about the attacks. I just remember going to school confused. Once at school, my teacher kept the TV on all day. As the news kept pouring in, I remember the concern of one of my classmates. Her brother worked in the Pentagon in DC and she was nervous.
Aside from those few things, the day and the days after are pretty blurry. I think it took a few years and more age for me to put together all that had happened. I don't know if its a good or bad thing to say that ten years has gone fast, but it's amazing to see how many still remember. This week in my Teaching Social Studies class, we had to write a lesson plan over 9/11. It really hit me that I will someday be teaching my students about this tragedy that struck our country and they will have zero recollection of the entire event. Whenever that day comes, all I can do is hope that I do those who lost their lives that day justice.
What do you remember about that day and the days that followed? How do you feel now 10 years after the event? Did you cry? Did you know anyone who lost someone in the attacks? While I didn't attend, today UNI students and members from the community placed 2985 flags in a field on campus. Looking at the pictures just gives me chills. If you have a chance to, say a prayer for those families grieving and thinking about that horrific day today. And take a chance to pray for those who are serving to keep us safe.
This commercial came out in 2001 and they have been recently replaying it because of the 10 year anniversary. It's amazing the amount of goosebumps a 30 second commercial can give me.
No comments:
Post a Comment